Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Progesterone Supplementation During An IUI Cycle


Question:

Hello Doctor,

I have been TTC since the past 15 months, I have irregular menstrual cycles. My husband has no fertility issues. I have been undergoing treatment - clomid, ovidrel followed by IUI (intra uterine insemination) since the past 3 months.

My luteal phase is 14 days long. I get a .8/1 degree increase in temperature the day after ovulation.This time ( 3rd IUI ), my RE asked me to take a vaginal progesterone supplement 2 days after the IUI.

There have been no tests performed to find if there is Luteal phase defect. I am scared/apprehensive about taking the progesterone supplements and I think my hormonal levels should be okay as my LP is 14 days long. Can you advise ? Your advise/suggestion on this matter will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance ! S. from California

Answer:

Hello S. from the U.S. (California),

I prescribe progesterone to ALL my infertility patients undergoing treatment. It is an easy medication to use, will cover any possible deficits in progesterone level that could impair implantation or continuation of the pregnancy and has no side effects. I think you should have been doing this from the first IUI treatment. I usually start it the day after the IUI.

You are correct that you don't have a luteal phase defect because your luteal phase is 14 days, but the additional progesterone won't hurt and it will make sure that you have adequate b-Integrin development, which is what is needed for implantation at the cellular level.

Good Luck,
Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
http://www.montereybayivf.com/
Monterey, California, U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails