Monday, October 12, 2009

Birth Control pills before IVF


Question:
Hi Dr Ramirez,
I am 42 y/o with an fsh of 6. I am to start IVF soon. Before I start stimming, my RE wants to put me on birth control pills for one month .
Is there any benefit to being on BCP for 1 whole month before
IVF? I feel like this is delaying my Ivf for too long.
Thank you, Lisa from Tustin.

Answer:
Hello Lisa from the U.S.,
 
You certainly don't need to go on the birth control pill, however, previous studies have shown it to be an advantage for several reasons:

1. It puts your ovaries in a stasis mode so that it will be more responsive to stimulation.
2. It allows us to take control of your ovaries more tightly when the stimulation begins
3. It allows us to program your cycle.

I too use BCP prior to starting IVF for the above reasons. Other than having to wait a little, it has no other detrimental effects. If you trust your IVF doctor, then you need to trust him completely so that you will get the best possible outcome. Your age is already a significant factor, and we do all that we can to try and overcome this and have developed specific protocols for that. The best you can do is follow your docs advice and not try to second guess him, especially via the internet (which has too much nonspecific information). If you don't trust him/her, then you should find a doc and/or clinic that you have complete trust in. After all, it is a very expensive process you are going through.

Good luck,

Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
http://www.blogger.com/www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

for additional information check out my blog at http://womenshealthandfertility.blogspot.com/ check me out on facebook and twitter with me at @montereybayivf

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails