Sunday, May 19, 2013

Is A Big IVF Clinic Better Than A Small One?


Question:
Hello,

I am writing from Japan and want to ask that can big, crowded clinics be good or are small ones always good? Which is a worst choice...I'm very confused actually....like the crowded one has all the plus points, it is experienced, and cost is little bit lower than other. The big one has the pioneer in begining the IVF (in vitro fertilization) in Japan, the other has good success rates but only opened 6 yrs back...I'm totally confused!
How many cycles should a clinic do per year and what can I use to make my decision?

Please help ! H. from Tokyo

Answer:

Hello H. from Tokyo,
I run a smaller, low volume clinic and have better pregnancy rates that they large ones in my area, including the ones at Stanford University and the University of California, San Francisco.  I feel that I give better more personalized care because I am caring for them personally and completely.  I don't have other people doing what I should be doing.  The biggest disadvantage of a very large clinic is that it is a factory and depersonalized.  IVF should be a personal and intimate procedure, NOT a mechanical one.  So, of course I have a bias.  I would not recommend a small clinic that has a poor pregnancy rate, but if it has a good pregnancy rate, I think that is the better place to go.  I don't care how big and famous the larger clinic is or how many cycles they do, if it were me and my wife doing this I would want a clinic where the doctor is going to give us personalized attention the entire way, including personally do the retrieval and transfer procedures. I know that at the larger clinic in Japan you will rarely if EVER get to see the "famous" doctor,  so what good is it to go there? The smaller clinic will probably give you a better experience even though it is at a slightly higher cost.

In the U.S., people prefer to go to clinics where they get one on one personalized care, not where they are treated as another number.

幸運 ... Good Luck!

Edward J. Ramirez, M.D.
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility And Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF
www.montereybayivf.com

Monterey, California, U.S.A.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails