Sunday, January 20, 2013

What Kind Of Estrogen For Endometrin Priming & Luteal Phase Support?

Question:
Hi there, I'm in Ireland and having egg donation treatment in Spain. I've had several unsuccessful cycles and am now finding that my endometrium is not as thick as it used to be. When my period begins, I take 6mg of Meriestra orally. I was interested to read an earlier answer of yours to question "thin endometrium causing ivf failure" that said "Vaginal is better because the hormone goes directly to the endometrium without having to go through the liver first (first pass), where most of the estrogen is removed, when taken orally."


Should i go back to my clinic and question the oral administration of the drug? In earlier cycles I was applying patches to my body.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer and I understand it would be general advice rather than a medical opinion.

Best Regards, A. from Ireland

Answer:

Hello A. from Ireland,

Thank you for reading some of my previous answers. Multiple studies have shown that oral estrogen for endometrial priming and luteal phase support are the least effective method. For that reason, it has become the standard of care to use either injectables, patches, vaginal gels or vaginal tablets. I think this is something you should query your doctors about. If your lining is not developing adequately in an egg donor cycle, it may be because you are not getting adequate estrogen.

Your doctors should be evaluating this thickness prior to deciding whether or not to proceed with the transfer. If you were my patient, I would not do the transfer if your endometrial lining was inadequate. In that situation, I would freeze the embryos and plan a frozen embryo transfer at a later date, in a cycle where the lining is adequate.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
Monterey, California, U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails