Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Did IVF Then Got Shingles: Could It Have Caused BFN?


Hello,

I was 5 days into my 2ww after a second IVF (in vitro fertilization). My first IVF unfortunately was a BFN (big fat negative), when I got my first ever shingles outbreak.

Then, my IVF ended up as BFN! Could shingle cause an IVF to fail. I had 4 gradeA embryos transferred. I am devastated! Thank you for your answer. A. From Georgia

Answer:

Hello A. from Georgia,

I am so sorry that your second cycle resulted in a negative and that you had to suffer shingles on top of that. I've had it myself and it is not a pleasant condition at all.

To answer your question: Yes, it is possible that a shingles outbreak could affect an implanting embryo. The immune response would be greatly heightened and could kill the embryo. That may not be the reason for the failure, but is a possible cause.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
Monterey, California, U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails