Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wondering About Follicle Size And Ovidrel Shot


Question:

Hi, I am on Gonal-f and my US (ultra-sound) yesterday showed I had 2 follicles measuring at 17mm and 14mm, my doctor told me to take one more shot of 75ui Gonal-f last night and to trigger with ovidrel tonight.

Do you think my eggs will be mature enough to ovulate???
Thanks! N. from the U.S.

Answer:

Hello N. from the U.S.,

If the follicles grow normally, they should increase by 2 mms each day. That means that they will be 19 and 16 mms the next day. I NEVER trigger without knowing the follicle size for sure. That is sloppy care. In addition, I would want you to be able to ovulate both follicles so I would probably wait one extra day and use the gonal-f another day. That way the follicle sizes should be 21 and 18 mms, so that both would be ovulatory size. Since follicles don't always follow the expected growth rate, I feel you have to look each day to know for sure.

In terms of your question, if the follicles grow to 19 mms and 16 mms the next day, then the 19 mm follicle definitely should ovulate and the 16 mm follicle may or may not.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com
Monterey, California, U.S.A.

2 comments:

  1. hi Dr,

    I've done IVF twice, both instances, out of 7 eggs I got only 2 embryos. 1st IVF day 2 transfer, 2nd ivf day 3 transfer. Both times it did not work out.

    I'm 33, PCOS condition. hubby 34, low sperm count.

    I controled my insulin levels before 2nd ivf. still there's not much of a difference in results.

    How can we both improve our chances? ie what can we do to improve egg and sperm quality?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helo Wannabe Mom,

    Sorry for the delay. I've had major computer problems.

    The insulin control would not do anything in regards to the egg quality. There is nothing that can help that. Controlling the insulin only helps the ovaries to respond better to stimulation.

    Without a complete review of your records, I can't give you specifics on what to do to improve outcome. Other than failing the cycles, I don't know any of the specifics.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails