Friday, May 13, 2022

37 Year Old TTC With Past History Of Hyperplasia & Endometriosis Is Desperate To Conceive

QUESTION:

Ok, I went to the Gyno in Dec of 2009 because I wasn't getting my period. He sent me for an ultrasound Jan. 2010 and the lining of my uterus was thickened so he did a biopsy which led to my first D&C which was April. I was diagnosed with hyperplasia of the uterus and he said I was producing too much estrogen so he put me on Depo provera.

I got my first shot April 19. 2010 and he told me if I didn't go on the depo shot I would definitely get cancer. I had my second shot July and then I had another D&C September and everything came out good, hardly any tissue. After the D&C the Gyno said he wanted me to stay on the depo till I go through menopause ughh!! I've had three more shots, one in Oct.. one in Dec. and my last shot was March 21, 2011. I want to have a child and in late July I will be 38. My gyno said I could go off the depo shot, so I asked him what if it takes me a year to get pregnant? He said, "You're not allowed to take that long you'll get cancer of the uterus for sure."

I think I need a second opinion & I'm hoping my withdrawal from the depo isn't so horrible. One thing I think you should know is I was diagnosed in my mid 20's with endometriosis and my gyno (back then different doctor) said I didn't have a lot of tissue he also never told me I couldn't conceive, he just said after you have children just get a hysterectomy. I was put on different forms of BC (birth control) over the years and my last form of BC was the NUVA ring. I always had bad cramps w/ my periods so he had me wear the ring continuously. I would wear it for three weeks and take it out and put in a new ring right away to avoid periods, when I was doing that I had break through bleeding all the time & that's where I think all the excess tissue came from with the hyperplasia. I've been on the depo shot for a year and three months then I'm due for my next shot which I don't want.

I'm writing from South Jersey. I only want to have one child! Please tell me what you think. Thank you for all your time. :)

ANSWER:

Hello A. from the U.S.,

First, I don't think you need to worry about the hyperplasia at this point. You have been adequately treated for it. You just need to make sure that you have regular cycles because not shedding the lining at least every three months is what can lead to hyperplasia, and if left untreated the simple hyperplasia can turn into atypical hyperplasia (precancerous) which can then turn into cancer.

I think that pregnancy is a good idea for it and you need to pursue it aggressively! Your age is the number one issue at this point, in terms of getting pregnant. A second issue with getting pregnant is the history of endometriosis. Depo Provera is certainly a good treatment for this disease but endo can recur and can impede pregnancy. Considering your age, I wonder if there are other factors as well since you have never gotten pregnant to date. My recommendation, in general, to patients at 37 years old or older is to strongly consider IVF (in vitro fertilization). Other than age, you don't have an absolute indication for this, unless something else is found wrong, but the chances of pregnancy are so much higher with IVF than any other treatment at your age.

For example, your natural chance of pregnancy is approximately 3% per month or 5% per month with IUI. On the other hand, with IVF it is 69% per month in our clinic, and at least 50% across the country. That is a significant difference. The problem with age is that the majority of eggs that you still have will be of poor quality so the only way to increase your chances to find an egg with good quality is through IVF. You can certainly try with more natural methods but with each month that you fail, your chances are decreasing (it's like chasing your tail).

I would strongly recommend that you go to a good IVF clinic and have a consultation. I know that there are some excellent ones in New Jersey.

Follow-Up Question:

One more question, being on the depo shot for this time period (one year & 3 months) I'm afraid as to how long it will take to get out of my system. Reading posts by women who've been on it much longer than I (like 7-12 yrs.) say it can take 6-18 months to start a normal period & ovulate again. Any suggestions on how to rid the depo from my system when I'm actually due for my next shot? I've read lots of water and excercise.

Thanks again after this no more questions I'm sure you're busier than ever.:) A. from New Jersey.

Follow-Up Answer:

Hello Again,

I don't have any solutions to how to speed up the return of your natural cycles. The Depo can linger for a while but I have never seen it take more than 2-3 months. If you want to start trying for pregnancy sooner, you could undergo ovulation induction and that will get your ovaries to stimulate and ovulate.

You are very welcome to ask your questions and thank you for your patience in waiting for my reply.

Good Luck,

Dr. Edward J. Ramirez, M.D., FACOG Executive Medical Director The Fertility and Gynecology Center Monterey Bay IVF Program http://www.montereybayivf.com/ Monterey, California, U.S.A
Comment: Dr. Ramirez was very helpful to me I really appreciated his input. Thanks again!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dr. Ramirez,
    I wanted to add that all of the routine blood and hormonal tests were normal and I have a normal FSH.
    Thank you,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails