Friday, February 5, 2010

Patient From India With 2 Ovarian Cysts For 5 Years: Cystectomy or Ovarian Wedge Resection


Question:

Hi, doc.

I have 2 cysts of size 2-3 cm on my rt ovary since last 5-6 years. My gynae has advised for analysis and removal of the cysts laparoscopically. I would like to know which is the best procedure for the same and wedge recesection is good or any other procedures are now available for this.

I am 26 years old , and I'm writing from India. Thanks for ur help. Regards.

Answer:

Hello and thank you for your question.

Certainly if these cysts have been there for the past 5-6 years, they should be removed! I would have done that years ago. It is most likely that these are benign tumors of some form.

However, the only way to be sure is to remove them and analyze them pathologically. Laparoscopy is the best way for removal if done by a doctor with experience. I would only recommend removing the cysts (cystectomy), not wedge resection or removal of the ovaries. The latter two will affect your ability to become pregnant in the future by increasing the chances of scar tissue formation. The benefit of laparoscopy, as opposed to laparotomy (open procedure) is that there is much less scar tissue formation.

I hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely,

Edward J. Ramirez, M.D.
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
www.montereybayivf.com

3 comments:

  1. Yes you are absolutely right...removing through laproscopy shopuld be the best way to get rid of the cysts.And I have heard of many having normal pregnancies after than also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi i m writing u from india i m on 9 day after 3 day transfer wid donor egg ...in starting few day soreness was dere however its not now ... does it mean the cycle fails

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had my egg retrieval April 1st.... I'm currently still experiencing mild cramps, back pain, and every now and then feel like someone is squeezing my ovaries(sharp pain). Had to
    Postpone transfer to do FET because OS.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails