Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ovarian Cysts


Question:

I am writing from Melbourne, Australia.

After two months of erratic menstruation, I was referred for an ultrasound which found the following: "The uterus is of normal contour with a normal endometrial echo. Both ovaries were visualised with a large dominant follicle on the left measuring 3.9cm in diameter. There is no septation or other change to indicate it is a pathological cyst. Follicle development is also present on the right ovary with the largest follicle measuring 1.6cm in diameter. There is no free pelvic fluid or other change."

My doctor has advised I wait and book for another ultrasound in 3 months time.

Should I follow this advice or seek a second opinion from a different doctor?

Answer:

Hello,

I don't think you need to wait three months. You should have an ultrasound done within the first 7 days of your next period to see if the cyst is still there. If it is, I would recommend a one month treatment with the birth control pill then another repeat ultrasound. If it is still there after that, then it is probably not a physiological cyst and needs to be removed by laparoscopy.

Sincerely,

Edward J. Ramirez, M.D.,FACOG
Executive Medical Director
The Fertility and Gynecology Center
Monterey Bay IVF Program
Monterey, California, U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails